Tuesday 4 December 2012

Moonlight Oatmeal?

Ingredients



  • 1 1/2 Cups of Steel Cut Oats

  • 6 Cups of liquid - Milk, Almond Milk, Coconut Milk, Water - or a mixture

  • 1/2 Cup of shredded Coconut (more or less to suit your taste)

  • Tablespoon Coconut oil - or butter

  • Handful or two of Dried Fruit - Blueberries, Cranberries, Black currants - whatever you like -- or even fresh fruit but NOT citrus if you are using milk ;o)

  • Dash of salt - if you like

  • Sprinkle of dried Ginger - if you like


[caption id="attachment_66" align="alignnone" width="300"]Moonlight Oatmeal Moonlight Oatmeal[/caption]

Mix ingredients in a casserole and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

You can probably guess I'm pretty slap-dash in the kitchen - I'll use a recipe as a guide but generally wander off course and switch things up without too many disasters.

---------

Have you ever made Moonlight Oatmeal?  I have!  Prepared with love and little light-heartedness it tasted just delicious!

I came downstairs a couple of mornings ago and found an almost full moon shining in through the kitchen window.  It was bright enough that I decided not to turn on the light.  I gazed up as I filled the kettle and started to make my tea.  Realising we needed oatmeal for breakfast the idea popped into my mind of making it by moonlight.

Of course making oatmeal by moonlight presents a few challenges, I'm not sure I got the oatmeal measurement entirely right, I couldn't quite find where the black currants spilled in the dark and I almost added rice instead of shredded coconut.

I did decide that once everything was in the dish that I should give it a good stir - clockwise - preferably 13 times, one for each moon of the year (I forgot to count so estimated but the intention was there).

After an hour in the oven it was ready to come out - I usually let it sit for about ten minutes to cool and thicken a little.  This has become a staple breakfast in our house, though not always made by moonlight!  If you've never tried steel cut oats, well, all I can say is you owe it to yourself to give them a go!  Mmmmm Mmmmm Mmmmmm.... it's like eating dessert for breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment