Sunday 13 January 2008

Kilns

I'm kiln shopping, or kiln researching might be closer to the truth.

I was set on a Jen Ken, with a digital controller and bead door, and then I read a thread on Wet Canvas about ceramic and porcelain beads. I had been admiring these beads a while back and thinking they might be an option for when it's just too cold to torch. I'd like to give them a go for sure.

That has made me second guess my kiln choice. There are some kilns out there that'll do glass and ceramic (ceramics need a higher firing temp than glass annealing). I've narrowed it down to two possibilities, a Paragon Caldera or Olympic kiln with bead door. The down side - neither of these two kilns are very big and they are both more expensive than the Jen Ken I'd been looking at. I heard from someone who's got a Paragon that they were not happy with after sales service - is this a one off? or are they just not good at looking after problems? I've read a lot of people are happy with their Paragon's so I'm not sure which way to go. I'll think on it for a while - if anyone has any experience or advice on any of these kilns I'd love to hear it!

Jen Ken, chamber is 11" wide by 4.5" high

Olympic 8" X 8" X 1o.5" with the bead collar

Paragon Caldera chamber 8" X 8" X 6 3/4" without bead collar

2 comments:

  1. louise, it's a big decision - check out mine (Arrow Springs AF138 + separate Bartlett controller)on the studio page on my site. it's more expensive but it's big enough to fuse a wine bottle which is something i'd like to do in the future. at first i thought it would be too big but i've easily filled it with a couple batch anneals.

    I had mine CSA approved and what i also like about it is that the exterior doesn't get dangerously hot..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Evelyn, it's really hard to know what to do for the best. Yours has a very nice inside dimension!

    ReplyDelete