Saturday 23 November 2013

Green Man Dreaming

I'm trying to make a Green Man bead.

For a while now I've been wanting to create a male themed bead to balance my Goddesses, I'm working on Cernunnos, he's tricky in glass.  My head is swimming with the Green Man at the moment so I thought I'd try him as well.

Here is the progression of my Green Man design.  With glass it can be tricky to get one part looking good without simultaneously melting in something you've already done.  Concentration on one part of the beads can lead to letting another part getting too cool so that it cracks when it's re-introduced to the flame - it's all a matter of balance, patience and nerves of steel!

1st attempt at a Green Man bead

This is my first attempt.  I was thinking of a stone face with leaves bursting forth.  This is not what I had in mind.  He looks impish which I guess is ok, but I don't like the way the bead looks as a whole.  I decided to try again.

Second attempt Green Man Bead

 

I like this one rather more, my sculpting is better but I don't automatically think 'Green Man!' when I look at him.

3rd Attempt Green Man Bead

 

Number three faired no better, he's just not quite what I really want.  I think it's time to loose the idea of a light coloured face.

Fourth attempt Green Man Bead

 

This one was a deviation and I rather like it - no worry about sculpting a whole a face, it has more mystery associated with it, all in all I rather like this one.

Attempt 5 at a Green Man Bead

 

My fifth attempt is heading somewhere!  I've been pulling leaf canes, which are strands of multicoloured green glass that add a little more dimension to the leaves.

Attempt 6 at Green Man bead

 

Yes, I might be on to something but I think I need some larger leaves in his face and a bit more contrast in the leaves.

Attempt 7 at a Green Man Bead

 

Ahhh!!!!  Getting closer!!  I actually rather like this one, I need more practise with the larger leaves.

Attempt 8 at a Green Man bead

This is number 8!  As far as I have got at the moment.  I want to make some leaf cane with a bit more orange in it and some that is maybe a bit darker, but I feel like I'm beginning to get the idea behind this design.

Bit by bit it comes together, each of these beads with the leaf cane in them took about an hour to make, first I have to wind the molten glass onto the mandrel and then shape the base bead.  Next I inset the eyes and outline them with leaf cane.  A rudimentary nose gets put in place as does the lower lip.  From then I work from the outside in, slowly laying down leaves and building up the design, the last thing is to finish off the nose.  Then I flip the bead over and work on the second side, I've decided for now to use my new stamps for this - I have an acorn, oak leaf and star/sun design.

It's definitely a challenge.  In my head is the most gorgeous glass Green Man bead - I don't know if I will ever make it, but I'm having fun trying!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment