Tuesday 8 April 2008

I just bought this torch - now I have to PAY for it!!

This weeks Flaming Hot subject is all about diversifying your business.

Since I'm new to this glass business I'm working on ideas for diversifying.  Especially since I just plunked down a LOT of $$$$ to purchase a torch, oxycon and kiln - I have to justify that by making some money!

I don't think I can deal with Ebay, at least not yet, I do have an Etsy shop and also opened up a store on the new Canadian iCraft.ca site, but I have to confess I am not working these at the minute.  In order to sell I need inventory which is in short supply until my new equipment arrives (trying to hold off so I can anneal my beads instead of having someone else do them).   To be successful with Etsy I think you have to be a real part of the community there and add new things to your store on a regular basis.

So... how else to make a living?  I've got some beads in one local bead store on commission, and have some that I'm planning to take to another, and I have some finished items at a Gallery in the town here.

I've done a couple of shows, but not the right kind of shows apparently - I need to find the ones where folks attend expecting to spend money on art, not the ones where people are looking looking for inexpensive crafted items for gifts.

My list of to-do's once I really get going -

  • List new items on my website

  • Work Etsy and iCraft

  • Find more Galleries and Bead Stores

  • Sign up for some more upscale shows

  • Look into selling in Hospitals and other public buildings

  • Offer a Wedding service of turning champagne/wine bottles from the head table into keepsakes

  • Donate items to causes I feel are worthy


At the minute, all I make are beads, once I have a kiln I think I might try my hand at some other things too!

1 comment:

  1. wow, sounds like you have some really solid plans there. that is great. Keep going!!

    ReplyDelete