Wednesday 2 April 2008

Finally! Torching weather!

It was mild yesterday and I don't think I've got as much heat out of my hothead since last fall! What a great feeling. I'm experimenting with silver. I have an idea in mind, but haven't quite got there yet.

I've tried using my Lee Valley Tools mandrels and have run into a problem - the beads don't want to come off! I think it's the cold pressed steel and have a feeling it's more porous than stainless causing the bead release to stick really well. I'm going to try something involving beeswax, ...figure I'll either go up in flames or will have better success. I will report on it later!

I really like the size and shape of the beads these bigger mandrels are giving me but it's surprising to see how different the feel of making them is and I do believe it's harder to get them nicely rounded because of the extra amount of glass. Wondering if this will be solved with my new torch and extra heat.

OH! I ALMOST FORGOT!
I received my copy of The Flow - I've been waiting not so patiently as three of my face beads are featured in the Canadian Gallery! I'm thrilled to bits, and delighted with how much info there is in this magazine - gorgeous tutorials, full of colour photos, many talented artists - I'm looking forward to reading every bit. It's fun to see how many of the names I recognise from The Canadian Lampwork Forum and congratulations to everyone who made it in there!

Here are my beads that made it to The Flow!

flowpage9.jpg

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Louise !!!

    It was also good to see that our Jen is in the Magazine !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yes, it's nice to see Jen there too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I must tell the world that I have one of your faces :-)
    A similar one like the handsome guy to the right.

    I like the idea of many strands of seed beads.

    Thanks for the great gift.

    Your fan ;-)

    ReplyDelete