Sunday 20 October 2013

Commissions and Creativity

Are you an artist?  Have you been asked to create a commissioned piece?  How did you feel about that?  How do you handle commissions?

I suspect that some people thrive on them, can see them as a challenge to get their creative teeth into and love the ideas and energy that flows when creating something outside the realm of what they may normally consider doing.

[caption id="attachment_820" align="alignnone" width="206"]pre-goddess bead Pre-Goddess[/caption]

There is another side to the coin though and if commissions leave you feeling blocked you may need to find a way to say 'no' gracefully.

In the past I have created commissioned beads, eager to try some new technique or thought process, but I have come to understand they are not what I want to be doing.

[caption id="attachment_821" align="alignnone" width="300"]Early Goddess beads Early Goddess beads[/caption]

Recently I've had requests for certain styles of beads I have made and sold in the past.  Each time someone would ask me if I was going to make 'more of those....' my immediate response would be - 'yes, I hope to have some in the near future'.

A recent conversation on Jani Franck's Blooming Business Facebook group got me doing some serious thinking.

[caption id="attachment_824" align="alignnone" width="289"]Evolving Goddess Evolving Goddess[/caption]

I learned some important things.  I learned why I said 'yes' to each of these requests -- turns out there was more than one reason.  I said 'yes' because I didn't want to let people down, I said 'yes' because I wanted to keep customers and make sales and I said 'yes' because I honestly thought it would be no big deal to make more of a certain design.

While these might be good reasons to say 'yes', I now realise I had a bigger reason for saying 'no'.

[caption id="attachment_823" align="alignnone" width="266"]Perfecting shapes Perfecting shapes[/caption]

I found myself not wanting to light my torch,  feeling blocked and weighed down by the thought of recreating beads I had made before.  Several designs loomed as deterrents to my creativity and joy.  I wasn't just not making these requested beads - I wasn't making any beads!

How does this affect potential buyers?  At best they may drift away forgetting that I exist, at worse they will come to see me as someone who doesn't deliver what she says she will.

[caption id="attachment_822" align="alignnone" width="266"]Learning skills - becoming more intricate Learning skills - becoming more intricate[/caption]

The lack of momentum, the not following through, the finding excuses not to torch all left me feeling guilty which added to the list of reasons I didn't want to make beads.

At this point I probably should say -- I am eternally grateful to anyone who has ever bought one of my beads or even requested a particular style.  It's a huge thing to feel accepted and validated by somebody else - to have my art appreciated and purchased gives me the ability and desire to continue.

BUT  I now know that next time someone asks me for a bead 'like this' or 'one of those you made before', I will be proactive.  I will gently explain that I cannot guarantee that I will replicate any of my previous designs, that this uniqueness  is a part of what makes them special.  I may make something similar in the future, but the designs are always evolving and changing --- AND improving!

[caption id="attachment_825" align="alignnone" width="300"]Gaining skills, evolving designs Gaining skills, evolving desings[/caption]

As artists we are not mass producers, we create the ideas that flow through us.  To be true to ourselves and our art - AND our customers we need to understand the things that make us feel blocked and if necessary how to politely say 'no'.

6 comments:

  1. Timely for me...just completed a commission for all the reasons mentioned, and had all the resistance mentioned....reminded me why i quit accepting commissions. The clarity around this is helpful. THanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post.....ive had the very same problem...people asked me to paint things that I said yescto and then hated every minute ...that stuck feeling.

    I have decided from now on to only paint what comes to mind...and if someone buys it great....it doesnt matter...your post has made realise how important that is...thank you !

    Ps love your work...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Cheryl! It was an eye opener for me - I realised I wasn't doing anyone any favours by saying yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much Irene -- it's nice to know I am not the only one who feels this way. Somehow we need to start believing we are letting people down by saying 'yes' not by saying 'no' :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean when you say you get blocked when trying to do something you feel you should be doing just because you told someone you would. I run into that when even when blogging. I might have some ramblings I want to get down, but life got busy and though I come up with something else I want to write about, I'm feeling I have to do the other one first. The longer I wait, the harder it is to get started, and the further behind I fall, the more difficult it gets to write anything at all.
    On the other hand, I've never had trouble turning down requests to either photograph or paint something. I learned years ago that the results only suffer if it wasn't my idea to create that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true! I wanted to add a nuance to what you said: I was really lucky in many ways to not really make any requested piece of art. In the beginning of my "coming out" as an artist I was even suggesting to some people what I could make for them! I would feel a lot of inspiration thinking about what they could "order" and even made some examples for the respective people on how it would look like.. All and every one of these "potential clients" disappeared, each for another reason, from my life - and only now, reading your article I realize, it was my own flow that made them disappear, or my muse, or my angels :-) As inspiration was flowing through me but not in their direction.
    And something else: this is one of the reasons I decided to leave architecture (do not know if for-ever), because as an architect one works for the clients and must come up with designs that realize the vision of the client, more than the one of the architect (or so I wanted).. Which vision of the clients, needless to say, is difficult to get by.. When I could create architecture from my own inspiration I was in the flow. When I was guessing and second guessing what my clients wanted (and mostly they were not able to express their wants), I felt not willing to make compromises and more willing to tell the clients "how it should be".. It was a constant internal fight because I wanted to produce projects that were helping the people who would use and live in them - but in the same time I had the tendency to get into my own flow, draw buildings that were coming from my heart..
    Conundrums are born this way and I was in one for 17 long years..
    much love and thank you for this article
    ioana

    ReplyDelete