Monday 17 November 2008

First Ottawa Bead Show - A HUGE Success!!

I'm so excited to write this post.  Our Ottawa Glass Bead Artists Show was on Saturday and I am still on a high from it.

I think it's safe to say it was a wonderful success!  Thank you Valentina for all these pictures!

[caption id="attachment_929" align="alignnone" width="450" caption="Ottawa Glass Bead Artists First Show!"]Ottawa Glass Bead Artists First Show![/caption]

This was not only the first Bead Show I have attended but also the first Bead Show I have been in, and for me it couldn't have been better on both counts!  The attendance was amazing, I guess the word really got out, and the feedback we were getting from attendees was that this was something that was LONG OVERDUE in the Ottawa area, and also that many of the people visiting had no idea that there were so many talented beadmakers in the area.

[caption id="attachment_933" align="alignnone" width="450" caption="Crowds!!"]Crowds!![/caption]

So we definitely raised the profile of Glass Beads in Ottawa!

From the time the doors opened until mid afternoon there was a steady stream of people coming through, and it seemed to me that things only quietened down in the last couple of hours.  We had wonderful door prizes available and there have to be some excited winners out there somewhere.  I know I would have been thrilled if I'd won any of them.



From a vendors point of view, I feel as though I have learned so much!  It was really good to see other Artist's beads and see the size, quality and price.  That has helped me a lot because I was mostly guessing and hoping I'd got it right.  It was also very helpful to hear people's comments and see which beads got the most attention.  This has given me more of an idea of which direction to head off into next.



I have to say for me, my Monkee beads were the hit!  I had so many wonderful smiles and chuckles from people, and lovely comments.  One young attendee came to the show with her parents for the sole purpose of seeing and buying a Monkee bead!  I was so honoured!  Monkees in Space are also a hit and I sold half of my stock of them, so I will definitely be making more and thinking of ways they can evolve.



There are so many people who need to be thanked!  Grace Edwards, our Lauscha Lady , without her drive and determination this show wouldn't have happened.  Then there are all the members and volunteers who did so much to make sure we had a successful day.  I have to thank also, my good friend Valentina and partner Lou, who shared a table with me, and took lots of pictures!  Valentina's talent seems to be without end, not only can she create beautiful silver chain maille, but also makes glass beads, jewellery, and sings - watch out because she's about to hit Ottawa in a big way!

Of course, we need to thank every single person who showed up to see what it was all about - I do hope you'll all come back next year, and check out all the Artists in the meantime.

Lastly but most definitely not least -- I wouldn't have been at the show myself, without the help and support of my husband David, and best friend Jane.  Jane got up at 5am to be there at my side for setup and stayed all day, helping in many ways.  David lived through all the pre-show stress and jitters as we tried to figure out a display and make sure there was enough content, he stayed throughout the afternoon until the show was over.  It was David who created the postcards for the show, and also a poster that was setup out front on the day.



It really does take a lot of people to bring off such a successful event!

3 comments:

  1. Hey... before I collapse in a heap from headache... I wanna know where the pic is of the lady with the thumb up her friend's nose!! *SNORT*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I'm so glad it went well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW look at all those people...would love to have a show like that. I can see why you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete