Sunday 11 May 2008

Here it is! - Unpacking a JenKen B3K

After looking at the box for a while - feeling (I imagine) like someone who'd just had a ufo land on their dining table - I plucked up courage to see what was inside -

p5097146.jpg

Ahhh - chipits!

p5097147.jpg

Aaaah! Another box!

p5097148.jpg

Aaah! A secret dossier!

p5097149.jpg

Oh! I feel like I've just aquired a new family member! Time to take a break and see what it says..

Well, between outlet types, grounded and ungrounded, wiring types, fuse types, where and how to position the kiln, I'm absolutely terrified and need to take a break!

Here's what else came in my box - I imagine you can expect the same if you order a Jenken B3K with a bead door.

p5127154.jpg

A bag of kiln wash and some kiln furniture (can't you just imaging the kiln fairies lounging on that ;o) )

p5127156.jpg

Three fire bricks to stand under the kiln. A word about these firebricks, they are VERY soft, almost chalk-like and need to be handled with care so's not to damage them.

p5127155.jpg

A kiln shelf and a firebrick to put in place of the bead door for batch annealing (helps to keep more heat in the kiln)

On with the unpacking - since the kiln is so heavy I figured the easiest way to remove it from the box was

p5107151.jpg

I realised it might make a bit of a mess

p5107152.jpg

Oh well... it was all worth it, I guess I was so excited I didn't even think to take the wrapping off the kiln, so I'll have to take a better picture of it later.

TaDAAAA!


p5107153.jpg

Today I'm hoping to get it set up and prepare it by painting on the kiln wash. I needed a paving slab and managed to borrow one from Jane, but I think I have everything I need now - more to come!


1 comment: