Wednesday 21 May 2008

Silence is Golden!

I did it! I finally got everything set up and yesterday I lit my mega minor for the first time. It seemed there were so many things to do and remember at first, but now I'm understanding the equipment a bit more.

I was a little intimidated by the whole set-up process and did my usual scouring of the web for info that might help. I did find some useful things out there and will share these links with you -

Torch, Gas, Hose, Regulator info from Dale Meisenheimer click here

Regulator info (oxy and fuel) also by Dale Meisenheimer click here

Setting up a minor/oxycon/propane combo click here

And a Youtube video on turning on and off an oxy/propane torch here

Setting your flame click here

Thanks to everyone who is gracious to share their knowledge and help us learn!

Another link that is useful, but more so BEFORE you buy your torch and oxycon is Artistry in Glass' Unlimited Oxygen Concentrator Chart - click here . It will help make sure you get the right concentrator for your torch.

So - I managed to get everything set up, tested for leaks - none! Alright!!

I have one word to say -

POOP!

It's a good thing to say to yourself when you are turning on or off an oxy/propane torch. When you light it the order is Propane, Oxygen. When you turn it off the order is Oxygen, Propane.

Here's the order in which I do things - if you are just learning, don't take my word for it, read, research, ask questions! So much of lampworking/flameworking is about what YOU are comfortable with safety wise - so be knowledgeable and BE SAFE!

Turning ON

  1. Make sure my ventilation is good.

  2. Open oxygen knob on torch.

  3. Turn on oxycon - it should run for a short while before beginning to torch, and should not be run with the oxygen knob closed on the toch

  4. Turn on gas tank

  5. Open fuel knob on torch

  6. Set pressure at regulator

  7. Turn off fuel knob on torch

  8. Turn off oxygen knob while I light torch (turning on fuel of course!)

  9. Turn oxy back on and set the flame

  10. HAVE FUN!


Turning OFF

  1. Turn off oxy at torch

  2. Turn off propane at torch (no flame present after this step)

  3. Turn oxy back on

  4. Turn off oxycon and let pressure drop to zero

  5. Turn off propane at tank

  6. Turn on propane at torch

  7. Let pressures drop to zero on regulator

  8. Turn off propane knob at torch


I tend to leave the oxy knob on the torch open so that I won't inadvertently turn on the oxycon with the knob closed.

That's the way I do it, hopefully I've learned right and hopefully if you read this and see that I'm doing some step wrong you'll let me know!

Just to prove I really did light it -

p5209466.jpg

And yes... Silence is Golden! Ahhhhh, my trusty hot head has served me well, I've learned a lot with it and won't be getting rid of it, but I have to confess my Mega Minor has stolen my heart! So peaceful and quiet after the roar of the hh, and such a gentle flame - more like a gentle stream than the pounding Niagara my little hh puts out. And heat! I see things melting the way they are supposed to!

2 comments:

  1. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flaming, so pretty and red. Great info!!

    ReplyDelete