Wednesday 14 May 2008

Mega Minor setback..

Sooo yesterday morning I rose and decided that I was going to get everything hooked up and pluck up my best courage to light my new torch.

First things first I had to hook up the regulator and check the lines for leaks. Wouldn't you know the end of the hose at the regulator was bubbling when I put gas leak detector on it. Gaaha!

I took it apart, inspected both ends, put it back on, tightened it as much as I could and tried again -- more bubbles!

At some point in the morning a lightening bolt hit me and I decided to try the other end of the hose on the regulator - aha! no bubbles! but now the bubbles were appearing at the torch end. That told me that there was a problem with that connector on the hose.

I had to go out yesterday and was going near a BOC Gasses welding supply, so took along my regulator and hose. I was a bit nervous going in there because I felt like I was entering The Man's Domain - probably silly, but I just felt like it was a place that men belong, not women -- something like the beer store!! ;o) (my mum taught me THAT one!)

I explained my problem to the guy behind the counter, he listened attentively, said nothing, picked up the hose and examined the connector, and then without a word took some big clippers and snipped the end right off my brand new hose! I felt a shudder of loss run through my body as the connector fell to the counter. Then he put a new connector on and disappeared out back to check it, still without more than a couple of words. A guy next to me jokingly said something about finding the hose is too short now, which was kind of funny seeing as it's a loooong hose and I lost about 1/2 inch off the end. Mr. Silent returned, wiping gas leak detector from hose and regulator and became a bit more vocal. He told me everything was good to go! At that point I managed to pluck up courage and ask him about stainless steel tig rods (which apparently make good mandrels at a lower price than the pre-packaged ones). He went to show me what sizes they have and explained that they sell them by the kilogram. I asked if he was able to cut them - he tried one, but it wasn't exactly an easy thing - I think you'd need muscles to do it the way he did. He then gave me one to take home and try.

When I asked him how much for the connector - he told me 'nothing, no charge!' What a nice guy! I told him that he'd made my day and left The Mans Domain a very happy woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment