Friday 13 June 2008

A BIG Day!

Today I melted my first rod of Borosilicate glass!!!  It's a big deal, I've been dreaming about it for a long time!

I'm thrilled with the results, just because I can't believe I finally did it.  Feel free to have a snicker at my very first boro pendant - here it is in all it's quirky, clunky, wonky glory :oD

p6137602.jpg

p6137601.jpg

Isn't it beeeeautiful!! (Don't worry, I understand it's the kind of beauty only a mother can feel for her child)

After I did that I attempted some beads, yep, they are wonky too, but OH the colours in this glass!  Oooooooh MY!!!

p6137599.jpg

I have to say I LOVE my mega minor!

On the soft glass front I've been experimenting with Triton, a new silver glass - not inexpensive at $4 a rod - I certainly won't be making any big beads out of it, but it's wonderful as a decoration on top of other glass.

p6137614.jpg

It's really easy to get the lovely metallic sheen, here's another where I didn't reduce the Triton (it's the blue at the bottom of the bead)

p6137609.jpg

p6137621.jpg

and one more for luck!

4 comments:

  1. I love the pendant!! AND all its wonkyness!!

    That triton gives beautiful things to the beads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to upgrade just like you did with a mega minor and an m-15 concentrator. I am wondering how easy the boro is to work with this setup. I can't wait to try out boro. I am new at lampworking so I need a lot of practice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely beeeeautiful. I especially liked your color choices and applications in the 2 end beads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Henry, I really appreciate your comment!

    ReplyDelete