Monday 16 June 2008

Holo-Boro

Here they are - my very first hollow boro beads!

p6167636.jpg

p6167644.jpg

Hollow borosilicate bead with frit

The dotted one is my favourite, part of it reduced to a silky gold finish, now I want to see if I can get a whole bead that colour!  The pictures don't capture that unfortunately.

Michelle, you asked about boro on the mega minor.  I have nothing to compare it with, but found that with my oxycon I could melt it quite easily.  I think my challenge is going to be getting used to the way the boro melts, it doesn't flow like the soft glass does and I'm realising I have to get it really hot to get the beads smoothed out nicely.

Here's a chart on Artistry in Glass' site that might help anyone looking at torches and oxycon's and wondering what they need for the most heat.

Torch and oxycon chart  - it says my combo will do small & medium boro which I figured would keep me happy for a while.  I decided to push the budget with the oxycon as I didn't want to be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. They are so pretty, I hope to be able to make hollow beads someday and thanks again for the advice. I was going to buy a bobcat but for some reason I am just hooked on the mega minor, maybe because it is red and cool looking. My husband said it looks like a ray gun from the eighties movies. I will be so relieved when I have a quieter torch. I like the hothead but I could do without the noise and I hate the way the hothead pops about when I twist it on the little propane bottles. I keep thinking it is going to explode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow those are just beautiful....can't wait to fondle them!!

    ReplyDelete